This has been a recent thing running around twitter as of late: saying ten things about yourself that are illuminating and a solid note about who you are. I thought I’d play, but I thought I’d put my facts together in one place to make it easier to see them all.1. I’m lazy. I know, I know, I’ve heard it before. “Len, you’re one of the most motivated people I’ve ever met.” Maybe so, but I’m lazy and I can prove it. Instead of writing more of my novel last night, I spent a few hours with this:
So, yeah, too many video games. Like Bayonetta.
2. I write out of order. It’s true, I don’t start at the beginning and work to the end. I’ve been working on Tesseract for some time now and I still don’t have a Chapter 1. I have a potential first scene, but that’s not even a page long.
3. I do weird things with music. I’ll find pieces that work against the immediate tone of what I’m writing sometimes, but that’s not the weirdest thing. I’ll listen to music while I sleep about twice a week. Sometimes, while I sleep, I’ll listen to the Inception soundtrack. That’s crazy.
4. Scheduling things. I’m not the best at it. Sure I could be better, but look at my blog. How often do I post at the same time? Better yet, how often do I post on a consistent day? Not much, usually when the muse hits me.
5. Muse. I have one. She can be quite evasive at times, but she can also be outgoing and motivated. I’ve discussed her before, but this is the closest thing I have to a girlfriend most times and she’s ten times as fickle.
6. Play-by-post. I waste/spend a lot of time on these kinds of forums. I’ve got it down to just a couple now, and only one that I have a significant presence on (I’m a moderator there).
7. I play the drums. That’s what I grew up playing in high school and I still finger-strum a beat every once in a while. I wanted to play guitar, but 7th graders couldn’t, so I went with the next thing that came to mind, drums. I got hooked on the idea from Miami Vice. Ironic fact: Jan Hammer synthesized all his Miami Vice music; no drums included.
8. I would love to be fit. I don’t have to be an Adonis or look like I’m chiseled out of marble. I just want to ditch the spare tire, look and feel a little stronger. I keep trying at it, enough where I regularly pay for trips to the local gym (and use them, of course).
9. Wealth is not my goal. What I want out of writing is to pay the bills. I don’t need to live in the lap of luxury, I just want to be able to take care of what needs to be taken care of and have enough money on top of that to get things when I want/need to get them. I’d like to have enough money from writing where I can travel and do the promotions I need to do.
10. Japan seems like a nice place. That’s why I’d love to go there. It’s not just a fascination with anime or anything like that. I’d want to see Tokyo, in all its varieties. I’d also like to take a bullet train to Osaka, so I can see the castles there. It seems like a world of the past and a world of the future, all in one country. I’d really like to go there.
Those are my ten. Anyone else have a ten they’d like to share?